What causes Melasma?
- Genetic factors
- Sun exposure
- Hormone therapy (The Pill etc)
Can Melasma be cured?
No but the right topical therapy can make a difference and keep control. Beware of quick fixes and do not have unrealistic expectations. Melasma can be lightened only!
What can be done?
- Effective sun protection daily – sun block should be applied 2 to 3 times daily.
- LASERMED will advise the following modalities: topical cream and treatments
- Numerous topical molecules (azelaic acid, Kojic acid, vitamin A derivatives, vitamin C, fruit acids etc).
- Usually a combination of molecules in the same product works more effectively.
LASERMED/ Dermashop advise on and stock the following products:
Skin Tech Blending Cream
Neostrata Enlighten range: cleanser, day cream, serum, pigment controller
Dermaquest Skin Brite and C-Infusion products
Zone Day and Night Creams
What about laser therapy?
LASERMED has a spectrum of different lasers for numerous medical and cosmetic procedures but we do not treat Melasma with any form of laser: it responds poorly, is costly and in 95% of patients the Melasma will re-occur. Topical therapy will always be the first line therapy.
What about chemical peels?
Yes. This is good adjunctive therapy for Melasma as it will have a therapeutic effect and will also enhance the topical therapies used. However, not all chemical peels are effective. There are specific peels for Melasma only – your LASERMED therapists will advise.